Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Few Things Worth Mentioning

Today, my dad and I finished up the electric run from the service panel to the garage. I'm waiting on one part (the outlet) so that I can wire it to the box and then call the city for inspection.

Long ago I had chosen the form factor for the power plugs I would be using. Unfortunately, it was before I really understood what kind of power I would be drawing. I ended up choosing components that simply aren't up to the current I'll be sending through them.

I found out what I really need is something that can handle 240 Volts and up to 30 Amps. The best fittings for the job turn out to be NEMA L6-30. Since almost none of it is installed, it's no big deal, I just have to get the right parts and install them. Unfortunately, there is one bit that is installed, and that's the receptacle in the car. So, I'll be needing to take that apart and re-do it. The truth is, I'm kind of glad, because the new configuration will be sturdier and it will look way cooler. I'll include pictures once I'm done.

However, the best news for the day just came from FedEx. They called to arrange delivery for the batteries. Tuesday the 19th, between 2 PM and 6 PM, I will be losing some floor space in my garage to a palate of batteries. Joy!

No comments: