Thursday, April 16, 2009

Done With the Fuel Tank


Finally finished cutting the fuel tank out today. All the chunks above comprise about 75% of all the plastic that made up the tank. For those of you thinking I was crazy for doing it this way instead of the proper way, let me just say, you may be right. But, how long would it have taken one person without all the proper lifts, jacks, tools, etc. to remove the entire sub frame? This way ended up taking me about 5 1/2 to 6 hours. Man, did it suck though.

I'd really like to use all that vacated space for something. It would need to be something that I don't need to access regularly and can afford to be stuck away from the engine compartment. Right now the only thing that comes to mind is the DC/DC converter and perhaps the auxiliary battery. If I decide to put any electrical components in there, I'll have to build something to keep them dry and clean. Hmm... What to do...

3 comments:

Gam0ra said...

Subwoofer? Sound system amp? Giant capacitor for the laser cannon? Is it enough space that you could move the spare tire/toolbox/whatever down there and save space elsewhere?

Tim Catellier said...

Oooh, I like your thinking; laser cannon. Too many shots might decrease my range a bit, but might be well worth it anyway.

The spare tire and tools have already been sacrificed to make way for the back battery box. That space would hold them, but I'd have to raise the car off the ground about 18" to get them out.

The car already has a great sound system. Still these are great ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Maybe I could use the space to take up running moonshine.

Gam0ra said...

Hmmm...yeah, having to jack the car up to get to the space kinda ruins that idea.

Drag 'chute?

I like the moonshine/import/export business idea, but it's somewhat dangerous.